The President’s eldest son and his former campaign chairman are all facing criminal charges and could face up to five years in prison in the United States for their roles in the 2016 presidential election, as well as for obstruction of justice, according to a Justice Department statement released Tuesday.
According to the statement, President Donald Trump’s eldest children and former campaign chair Paul Manafort have pleaded guilty to multiple counts of obstruction of Justice related to their involvement in the campaign.
Manafort is also charged with one count of conspiracy to commit bribery.
The Justice Department said that in addition to the three counts of conspiracy, the indictment alleges that the three men “knowingly and willfully failed to properly report, preserve, and preserve evidence relevant to the 2016 election, and engaged in a conspiracy to conceal the truth about their roles as a part of a scheme to obstruct the investigation into the 2016 Presidential Election.”
Manafort is the co-founder of the pro-Russian political party known as the Party of Regions and served as the campaign chairman during the 2016 campaign.
The indictment alleges he received more than $12 million in campaign contributions from Russian oligarchs.
Trump Jr., Kushner and Manafort all have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The president’s eldest sons are accused of misleading the public and Congress about their involvement with the campaign in an effort to help win the election, according the Justice Department.
The President has previously denied the charges and said that he didn’t collude with Russia in the election.